Ponte Tor di Quinto: a great work for the 1960 Olympics
Ponte Tor di Quinto is one of the more northen bridges of the Tiber river.
It is located in a quarter considered to be a very suburban area until 1930-40s. It was a mainly rural, popular area, where, precisely because of its proximity to rural zones north of the capital, the way of life was more rustic.
Ponte Tor di Quinto arises therefore in an area where the urbanization boost just began in the late 1950s and had its boom in the following decades.
In particular, the project of the bridge was inserted among the works that took place in Rome for the 1960 Olympics.
Ponte Tor di Quinto is an example of reinforced concrete engineering; its sizes are in fact remarkable, it is characterized by a six-lane carriageway and a reinforced concrete structure composed of seven arches; the central arch allows to pass over the river, with a total length of about 72 metres.
Ponte Tor di Quinto is part of a series of urbanization works concerning the expansion of the city during the postwar period, and stands in particular (given the event that caused its origin) as a link junction between Acqua Acetosa sports facilities and the new via Olimpica (or Via del Foro Italico), perfectely fitting into the series of new infrastructure of a city rising again after the nightmaare of the war.
Ponte Tor di Quinto is therefore a symbol of the brand new Rome recovering and dressing up for a fresh, big adventure that presents it back on the world scene!